Wednesday, May 6, 2020

How the Readings Speak to my Question

It's an interesting prospect, trying to logically explain mysteries, and often the cultural analyses do little to help my research or speak to my question. However, I do think back to our readings on Columbus and his many journal entries. In regards to the Bermuda Triangle and him seeing strange things in the distance, I recall the readings stating that Columbus began to have a more imaginative mind, explained by the extremely fantastical entries in his journal, looking to the supernatural for things he saw. In addition, I think back to the rich cultures that Latin American societies possessed even long ago, and the amazing things they could accomplish, such as the amazing sites we see today like in the case of the Tikal Ruins.Columbus Day? True Legacy: Cruelty and Slavery | HuffPost

Entry Update Pt 2:
Thinking of how indigenous populations in Latin America have persisted to this day, in my opinion, speak so much to the respective sophistication of these societies. They are seen to many as primitive peoples who refuse to adhere to modern advances, when in my mind, they really don't need to. Throughout our readings, we have seen how these people have been wronged by those more "sophisticated" than them, although they live in a way that is different but just as important and civil. I believe that as these indigenous populations were able to create such sites like Puma Punku and the Tikal ruins, they had bright lives and lived in a way that is full, albeit different from others. Today, these indigenous people are misunderstood but still have a way of life worth preserving in my eyes.
Indigenous peoples of Latin America: more recognized, still ...

No comments:

Post a Comment